I have never enjoyed Valentine’s Day. It is not a ‘holiday’ that I gladly celebrate. I mean, I am still finding homes for all the wonderful Christmas gifts and my check book is still recovering from December.
However, I do love my husband and I do want to do my best to show him this on this ‘Day of Love.’ But what do I get him? That, really, is another issue I have with this day. He isn’t that into roses or chocolate. And giant stuffed animals would make him think I hate his guts. And with it being so close after Christmas, there isn’t really anything he NEEDS. Do you suffer from these problems too? Please, tell me I’m not the only one!
So, I did what all smart intelligent enterprising women do…I asked Facebook. (Husband doesn’t have a Facebook account). It was safe and, having friends from all walks of life, I found it enlightening. Answers came from young, old, and in between. They came from grandpas, husbands, boyfriends and from married, divorced, single, separated, living together. From doctorate degrees to barely made it out of high school. Serious and funny answers…and even a couple of wives chimed in.
The question was, “Men: What do men want for Valentine’s Day? Besides bedroom stuff….what do men WANT?”
The top 10 answers were fascinating! Here they are, from 10 to number 1. This is what men from across the country said:
10) Guns and ammo. However, I’d have to ask another man to help me get good quality and explain things to me. Not a big deal, but buying these items is not what I know how to do.
9) Chocolate. Special candies that are just for him. Ones he doesn’t have to share with the kids, the dog, or you. Here is a GREAT assortment from Amazon. Ranked #5 for chocolate and candy gifts.
8) A massage from you. NOT from a masseuse. Here is an idea from The Thrifty Couple on making your own massage lotion.
7) Special facial or soap items JUST for him. He doesn’t always enjoy the girly smelling soaps, shampoos, and conditioners found in the shower. Sometimes he just wants to smell like a man.
5) You, in matching underwear. No granny panties or old bras. Doesn’t have to be Victoria’s Secret or even something from a triple X rated store or magazine. Unless you want to of course…one gentleman answered with this, “something old, something new, and something kinky in a flattering hue.”
4) Tickets to something. Whatever he is into: music, football, lecture series, rock climbing, Las Vegas, NASCAR. Or my personal favorite, DISNEYLAND! And he wants to go with you and have you ENJOY it.
3) (From the wives) Not being pressured to make the day amazing for YOU. I found this an interesting insight from the women who responded.
2) Favorite meal. Either cooked or ordered in. A special food of some kind that is his favorite. Maybe this is the only day out of the year he gets lobster or a special home-made dessert.
AND THE #1 RESPONSE:
Quiet time with their significant other. Snuggle up and watch a movie. Hold hands, go for a walk, and make eye contact when you talk. No chores, no housework, just being together is what they need. Your undivided attention just focused on being together. And maybe popcorn.
What are you getting your significant other for Valentine’s Day?