This cute craft cost me LESS than $1 per lightning bug to make. And the kids I made it with LOVED it! They sat in the dark bathroom and played for quite a while.
Here is what you will need:
- 1 tea light
- 1 plastic egg
- a dab of two different colors of paint. (I used blue and white)
- 3 pipe cleaners of any color ( I used 2 purple and 1 orange)
- hot glue.
I found everything at a dollar store. And I already had the paint and the egg in the cupboard. I had a dollar store hot glue gun in the drawer. But I think any hot glue gun would do the trick.
- I put the tealight inside the egg. I pointed the light bulb toward the narrowest end. And I love the results!
Then I simply painted a happy face on Ray.
2) Take 2 of your pipe cleaner and cut them into 3 equal parts. You should have 6 equal pieces of pipe cleaner when you are done.
3) Glue them on the sides of the egg. Now he has legs!
4) Trim the remaining pipe cleaner to whatever length of antenna you would like . Mine were about 3 inches long.
5) Glue them on above the eye area and trim to the desired length. Then curl with your finger.
6) Say ‘Hello’ to your little friend. Ray the Lightning Bug!
That’s it! So easy peasy little kids could do it too!
Send me a picture of your Rays. I want to see them!