So you’ve spent all of this time planning the perfect road trip, the perfect plan, the perfect schedule of events, the hotel is reserved the theme park and Disney tickets have been bought…but there’s one major factor looming over your head…FOOD!
And the food is often a majorly overlooked trip expense until you are there and realize that you will be eaten out of hotel and vacation.
We are a big family. There is 8 of us. Even with perfect planning, finding and taking coupons, buying discounted gift cards and loading up my diaper bag with snacks, food is still expensive. It just is.
But there is one tool that solves a whole world of food and family vacation dilemma – the George Foreman Grill.
It is easy to cram the small version into your packed food box or cooler. We have done this for many of our road trips. Not only are we concerned about the price, but we get tired of eating out! The George Foreman cooks meals fast and easy! I have done this in hotel rooms…IN HOTEL ROOMS! All you need is a place to plug it in and you can make a nice dinner on a dime and fast too.
Here’s some examples!
Main dish ideas:
- Grilled cheese – you can also include a slice of ham lunch meat for grilled ham and cheese
- Quesadilla – slice of cheese between tortilla shells
- Grilled hamburger wrap – basically a hamburger/cheeseburger in a tortilla wrap
- Hot dogs – the SIMPLEST!
- Grilled chicken
- Frozen chicken nuggets or strips – this is a nice, grilled way to heat them up fast – and SUPER SIMPLE
- Pre-formed burgers and veggie burgers
- Paninis – grilled sandwiches of any kind
- Bacon – simply bacon. This makes for a great breakfast side with microwave oatmeal, or make toast on the Foreman Grill. You can also make the bacon for BLT’s on the road.
- Grilled nutella sandwich
- Kabobs – often, we arrive at our destination and I will have packed my grill and then we hit a local grocery store for a lot of the fresh things like this.
- Pizza rolls or other frozen foods like egg rolls, cream cheese wontons, things that are wrapped in dough…
- Canned biscuits – seriously, grill the canned biscuits. Awesome (and a little flat, but great!)
- Stuffed canned biscuits – take the same biscuits and stuff with cheese, pepperoni, sauce and make pizza bites. Or just use cheese and pepperoni (I made these without the sauce last time).
- Frozen french fries or tater tots
- Sliced potatoes
- Grilled Zucchini, yellow squash, peppers or eggplant. All great grilled plain or with salt and seasoning.
- Other grilled veggies – we find that broccoli, cauliflower and carrots grill up nicely. Even frozen veggies will work!
- You can also grill toast (think the frozen Texas Toast)
- Frozen pancakes or waffles – as long as they are pre-formed, this works perfectly and so much better than the microwave.
- Canned Cinnamon Rolls
- Canned Biscuits (again)
- Pre-made frozen breakfast burritos or sandwiches
- Grilled fruit (like peaches or nectarines, but apples and pears work too)
- Bacon and sausage links or patties
- Grilled toast
- Cookie Dough for grilled cookies – DELISH
- Canned cinnamon rolls
- Grilled tortilla stuffed with nutella and bananas or cinnamon and sugar quesadilla style
- S’mores biscuits – stuff the canned biscuits with a marshmallow and a piece of chocolate and grill
- Canned biscuits stuffed with any canned pie filling or phyllo dough
There you have it. You have got to get yourself a George Foreman Grill for your travels. No question now…except which one?
We have the family size at home because, well we need it. But while on vacation, I use the 2-person size because it’s compact and easy to pack and clean on the road. And since most everything cooks super fast, it doesn’t take long before the whole family is stuffing their faces with hot dogs, grilled cheese or any other homemade fast dinner in the hotel room. 🙂
This 2-Serving at a time George Foreman Grill on Amazon HERE is great for travel, college students, couples, etc.
This is the Family Size Foreman Grill on Amazon HERE that I use at home.