I have an addiction. I fully admitt it and NO I don’t want help. I am addicted to vacations, road trips, and most of all DISNEYLAND! Yes, I love Disneyland….I just can’t help it.
However, I have to work very hard to afford it and take trips without going back into debt. You will never know how many times I’ve been super tempted to pull out that STUPID credit card and go to town! I think about all the amazing things I could do before I max it out.
But I don’t. When I get these urges, I just buckle down and look at where I can spend less money. The saved money goes directly to the vacation fund. Yes, it takes time. And no, I don’t always have fun…however it does work. It does add up.
Here are some of the things that I use to save up:
- Emeals. Emeals is an amazing and TIME SAVING program. Not only does it save me a LOAD of grocery money it takes the guess work out of what is for dinner. It plans my whole week for me! And as an added bonus it gives me my GROCERY LIST! Seriously, I’m on the budget plan, and I’ve been on the paleo plan…this is worth the try. You can try if FREE for 1 or 2 weeks! There are MANY types of menus to chose from! Menus such as paleo, gluten free, budget, family meals, clean eating, quick and healthy, low carb, low calorie, and more! It comes HIGHLY recommended by Dave Ramsey!
- ibotta This is an app for your smart phone that automatically gives you rebates on items you buy often. For example, my family loves snack crackers. There is a $1.00 rebate for 3 boxes of these certain snack crackers. So I have a coupon, and they are on sale. And because I used Ibotta, they were even cheaper! So stinking easy!
- Checkout 51. This is much like ibotta. You checkout the app and choose which offers you will purchase, then when you are done at the store you take a picture of your receipt simply to prove that you bought the product and they give you money. Really, it doesn’t get any more simple than this!
- Restaurants.com Let me tell you about Restaurants.com. You sign up and tell the site where you are looking restaurant deals. For example, if you were heading to Disneyland you would type in zip code 92802 and because I am walking I put the distance at 1 mile around the park. You then get an assortment of restaurants that are selling gift certificates for a SIGNIFICANTLY reduced price. For example, you can buy a $25 gift certificate for $10. This is an amazing way to save money before and during vacation.
- Coupons.com. This is pretty self explanatory. You sign up, click the coupons you want and print them off. Easy peasy lemon breezy! These coupons can be combined with ibotta, Checkout 51, and all store sales. When you combine these things, it is a trifecta of savings!
- Get Away Today I know you’ve heard Cassie and I talk about Get Away Today on our LIVE Facebook videos. We also written about it numerous times. And we will continue to do so because we are so impressed with their services, their customer relationships and their amazing deals. The offer the the lowest prices for Disneyland, along with other destinations, vacations. Their packages cannot be beat! And they give extras….special gifts for the kids AND for the adults. They ALWAYS go out of their way to go the extra mile and make vacations EXTRA magical! WE recommend Get Away Today to save money on vacation packages…and you can save even more with code Mmom10.
- A while back I also wrote about how I get my whole family involved in saving money for special vacations. This is a tried and true method of making everyone an owner in the vacation. It makes it important to all who are going.
When you get the urge to travel, how do you prepare financially?